Wednesday, May 27, 2009

First days in Fortaleza

I´m sitting in a small internet café near my hostel waiting until the rain stops. Of course I forgot to bring the unbrella like an idiot since it has been mostly raining since I came here. There have been some sunny moments however and sunday was absolutely wonderful. I went to this very nice beach with the woman who owns the hostel I´m staying at with her friend with her baby and brother. Drinking beer, eating crabs and drinking coconut water was amazing. I swam in the warm sea and had a fantastic time. On saturday I went out with the woman, her name is Caritas, and her friend. I tasted a rather funky drink, beer and red wine mixed together and then loads of caipirinhas which were to my surprise cheaper than beer. We went to this one night club where I met another friend of hers who is an english techer in a University and asked me to come to his class on tuesday and talk to the students. So yesterday he picked me up and I went with him to class and was a "teacher" for one hour. It was totally awesome. The guy said I am a natural born teacher haha. In between all this I´ve been walking around trying to get by with my limited portugese and everything takes 10 times longer when you cannot talk with the people. For exaple, trying to get a simple phone card to call europe took me 3 days until finally I ran into this friendly guy in the supermarket who luckily for me had lived in New Zealand for a while and he took me all over the place to get me this silly car which worked out in the end and I could finally call Luis. He is coming tonight and I can´t wait!
It has really been so fun to be here and most of the people I meet are very kind and friendly, offering me things and asking nothing in return. But I suppose it´s not going to be the same everywhere. This is a big country andFortaleza is actually small city compared to other ones, even though it has around 2,5 million inhabitants.
This has been a great start and I have all the rest of the continent to explore!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hæ elskan, ertu ekki með myndavél, okkur lángar að sjá mindir!

Ásdís said...

Hæ Birna, caipirinhas?
nenniru þá að senda mér cachaca?
please?